Introduction to the Course:
- Data storytelling is the best way to use data to create new knowledge and new decisions or actions. It is an integrative practice that incorporates knowledge and skills from several disciplines, including communication, analysis, and design. It helps to practice across many fields.
- Humans are wired for stories. Storytelling plays an important role to make progress in species. It presents the data and information in story form to maximize communication effectiveness.
- Data visualization storytelling will help to turn the “facts and figures” into “stories” and engage them to fulfill human expectations of information. This course is intended for anyone who works with data and has to communicate it to others, whether a researcher, a data analyst, a consultant, a marketer, or a journalist.
Course Coverage :
1)Humans are Wired for story
- Fictional stories produce and neutralize anxiety
- Our survival depends on it
“Stories are crucial to our evolution, more so than opposable thumbs. Opposable thumbs let us hang on, story told us what to hang on to. “
2)Data storytelling is essential, except when it isn’t
- Your primary job as a human is to be a communicator.
- Stories are up to 22 times more memorable than facts alone.
- 21% of children under the age of 18 live in poverty
Narrative Visualization: Telling Stories With Data
“Data stories appear to be most effective when they have constrained interaction at various checkpoints within a narrative, allowing the user to explore the data without veering too far from the intended narrative.”
3)Even though you may not be in full-on storytelling mode
- You should still think about the story’s structure,
- When designing and creating that content.
What do stories look like, and how they’re structured?
Every story needs a beginning, middle, and end.
Headlines, Callouts, and Highlights
- Capture your story
- Include key components of your story
- Be honest, sincere, and purposeful
What Will You Learn?
- Storytelling with data
- Data visualization
- Create rich informative data graphs
- Craft compelling narratives with data
- Speak the language of data
- Create impactful data visualizations
- Discover important context to understand data
- Format your graphs for impact
- Turn default graphs from tools such as Excel and Google Sheets into effective data communications
Why Data Storytelling
Humans are Wired for story03:38
Narrative Visualization: Telling Stories With Data15:00
Build Your Story with the Flow Know-How15:00